About‎ > ‎

History of St Anthony's Parish Lloydminster

First Church
 Our Catholic parish community began in Lloydminster with Father Henri Goutier, a missionary priest appointed to establish a church in Vermilion.  Parishioners would gather in a local hotel to hear Mass and receive the sacraments from this missionary priest.  Father Goutier served Lloydminster from Vermilion from 1909-1924.
In 1910 the first church in Lloydminster was constructed of logs and planks on the Northeast corner of 53rd Avenue and 49th Street facing south.  This building served the parish community until population growth necessitated that a new building be constructed.
On February 20, 1945, Archibishop John Hugh MacDonald authorized the building of a new church in Lloydminster.
  
Father Bernard Gorman became the parish priest effective June 10, 1948 and was instrumental in the completion of this building, which stood on the Northwest corner of 52nd Avenue and 44th Street.  Archbishop John Hugh MacDonald blessed this building on August 24, 1949. The blessing was followed by a solemn high Mass sung by Rev. Thomas Dobson.
The new building featured the use of glass blocks in all windows, stran steel construction, and dona cona finish with birch veneer for paneling. The church had a seating capacity of 450 and a full basement that served as a parish hall.
  
     Lloydminster continued to grow and become a major centre for the surrounding farming communities.  A new and larger church was once again
needed to meet the spiritual demands of the parish. 
On November 22, 1982 a general meeting of the parishioners was held.  143 people attended the meeting and voted in favour of building a new church on the corner of 27th Street and 56th Avenue, adjacent to St. Joseph’s elementary school and south of the Catholic sponsored nursing home currently being built.
On June 21, 1986 a sod-turning ceremony was officiated by Father Don Stein, a former pastor and Lloydminster Mayor, William Kondro.  The first Mass in the building was held on Palm Sunday of 1987.  Parishioners gathered at the old St. Anthony’s church and following the distribution and blessing of palms, the congregation proceeded to the new St. Anthony’s for the celebration of the first 9am Mass in the new building.
 
Third Church (current)
      The current building was built to accommodate a maximum of 700 people in the sanctuary area, with the ability to accommodate 300 more people in the narthex when necessary.  The new building design was a collaboration of Father Karl Raab, the guidelines from the National Bulletin on Liturgy regarding church buildings and Brother William Woeger a Christian Brother from Omaha, Nebraska, where he worked as both an artist and a highly valued liturgist. The Prairie Messenger explained the ideas for the new building on Nov. 30, 1987
The philosophy behind all of the decisions made in regard to the building of St. Anthony’s new church may best be summarized by a quote taken from the National Bulletin on Liturgy (Vol. 13, No. 74)

“Christians do not build temples: Christians are temples.  A church building is a place where the church – God’s people of praise – gather to worship God and celebrate the presence of the risen Lord among us.  The form of our churches is based on and reflects our theology of the church and, in turn, shapes the way we express our faith in our worship.”
 
The building has a partial basement that accomodates a series of four meeting rooms.  As there is no full basement, there is presently no place for a parish hall,  In 2010 a parish hall committee came up with a proposal to build a hall attached to the north-east portion of the existing structure.  The plan was approved by the Edmonton diocese and a parish hall fundraiser was undertaken.  Ground was broken in early May of 2013 and Fr. Raj kicked off the construction project with a blessing at the 11:00 mass on May 12, 2013.
 
****click here  to find information about the proposed hall addition to the church****
***click here  to find information about St Anthony's clergy past and present ****